1. Federal skilled workers

As of May 4, 2013, CIC re-opened the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) to 24 eligible occupations, in addition to applicants with a qualifying job offer or those applying under the PhD stream. As of this same date, all applications are subject to the new FSWP selection criteria, namely, language testing and foreign educational credential assessments.


• CIC will only accept 5,000 applications in total from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014, in the eligible occupations stream.
• Within the 5,000 applications, CIC will only accept 300 in each priority occupation.
• In the PhD stream, CIC will accept 1,000 applications from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014.
• There is no cap on applications with a qualifying job offer.

Eligibility criteria:

– A prospective applicant should ensure they meet at least one of the following requirements:
• They have at least one year of continuous work experience in one of the 24 eligible occupations as per below;
• They have a qualifying offer of arranged employment; or
• They are eligible to apply through the PhD stream. To apply under this stream, you must have either:
– finished at least two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, or
– graduated from a Canadian PhD program in the 12 months before we get your application

If prospective applicants are confident that they meet at least one of the above requirements, they must also meet the minimum language threshold, obtain an educational credential assessment (if submitting a foreign educational credential) and meet all requirements of the FSW Program.

– Eligible Occupations List (with their corresponding 2011 National Occupation Classification code) are as follows:

• 0211 Engineering managers
• 1112 Financial and investment analysts
• 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
• 2131 Civil engineers
• 2132 Mechanical engineers
• 2134 Chemical engineers
• 2143 Mining engineers
• 2144 Geological engineers
• 2145 Petroleum engineers
• 2146 Aerospace engineers
• 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
• 2154 Land surveyors
• 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
• 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
• 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
• 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
• 3142 Physiotherapists
• 3143 Occupational Therapists
• 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
• 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
• 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
• 3215 Medical radiation technologists
• 3216 Medical sonographers
• 3217 Cardiology technicians and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.(not elsewhere classified)

2. Federal skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
CIC will only accept 3,000 complete federal skilled trade applications for processing each year (from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014).
Within the 3,000 cap, no more than 100 new applications for certain jobs will be considered for processing each year. There is no sub-cap for other skilled trades.

The following is a list of skills accepted:

Group A – Jobs with sub-caps of 100 applications each (and their corresponding 2011 NOC code)
• 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
• 7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
• 7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
• 7271 Carpenters
• 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
• 7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
• 8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
• 8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
• 8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
• 8241 Logging machinery operators
• 8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
• 9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
• 9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
• 9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
• 9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
• 9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
• 9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators
Group B – no sub-caps (2011 NOC code)
• 7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
• 7233 Sheet metal workers
• 7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
• 7236 Ironworkers
• 7237 Welders and related machine operators
• 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
• 7242 Industrial electricians
• 7243 Power system electricians
• 7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
• 7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
• 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
• 7251 Plumbers
• 7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
• 7253 Gas fitters
• 7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
• 7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
• 7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
• 7314 Railway carmen/women
• 7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
• 7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
• 7371 Crane operators
• 7372 Drillers and blasters – surface, mining, quarrying and construction
• 7373 Water well drillers
• 8231 Underground production and development miners
• 8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
• 9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators

To apply, you must:

• plan to live outside the province of Quebec,
• meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
• have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
• meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
• have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body (refer to specific province for details regarding provincial licensing).

3. Canadian Experience Class

You need to meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply under the Canadian Experience Class:
• plan to live outside the province of Quebec
• have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
• have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
• meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).
According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
• Managerial jobs (NOC skill type 0)
• Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
• Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
From November 9, 2013 to October 31, 2014, CIC will accept a maximum of 12,000 new, complete applications under the Canadian Experience Class.
As of November 9, 2013, work experience in the following National Occupation Classification (NOC) B occupations (listed with the corresponding NOC code) will not be accepted in the CEC:
• Cooks (NOC 6322)
• Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
• Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
• Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
• Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
• Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)
For all other NOC B occupations, CIC will accept up to 200 applications per occupation. Once the cap is reached, CIC will no longer accept applications for that occupation. Once CIC receives 12,000 complete CEC applications, they will no longer accept any application for processing, even if there are occupational caps that have not been filled.